We are currently unable to process credit card payments. If you have questions or would like to place an order,
please call Customer Service at (800)348-2440 x2173. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Common Sense Catechesis: Lessons from the Past, Road Map for the Future
Usually ships next business day
To build for the future, we must learn from the past.
With an engaging and personal style, Fr. Bob Hater considers both the future and the past in this one-of-a-kind bridge building book about catechesis in America.
Discover Fr. Hater's entirely new concept for catechesis -- a Common Sense approach. It takes into account the historical framework over the course of the 20th century and overlays key concepts to give catechetical leaders and catechists, usually volunteers, what they need to succeed today. Common Sense Catechesis requires two main things of the catechist:
1. Knowing the basic teachings to be taught, and
2. Devising ways to present them clearly and effectively
At the same time, Fr. Hater acknowledges the elements of each catechetical approach along the way...
- The memorization approach of the early 20th century, and the use of the Baltimore Catechism
- The chaotic approach of the late 60s and 70s, and the effects of Vatican II
- The experiential approach of the 80s and 90s, including the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults
- The systematic approach from the 90s to today, and the influence of the Catechism of the Catholic Church
Let Fr. Hater's common sense approach bring energy and life to your catechetical ministry, ensuring that Christ is at the center of it all. Now that makes sense!